Thursday, October 8, 2009

Brother Ray by David Ritz


David Ritz relates his memories and the creative writing process behind his book that details the life and story of the talented musician Ray Charles. Ritz in the article, gives the reader a senses of what it was like to work under Ray and insight to the character of the man behind the piano. It illustrates the struggles the artist faced during his battle with cancer as well as documents the changes he underwent spiritually.From this we learn the determination and the strength Ray Charles possessed not only in the music world but also his personal life.I thought this piece was written beautifully. Everything about captured my attention from the way it was written to the selection of detail. The line that stands out to me is “ She knew I’d have to fight the fucking world and bend it my way.So I bent it my way.” I feel this captures the essence of Ray Charles a man as Ritz describes “ had no trace of self-consciousness, no pretensions.” Ray did his own thing and never let anyone change him, he was truly someone to look up to. Furthermore,Ritz does an exceptional job at showing the reader the passion Ray felt for his music. When you read this paper, one can clearly that there was no Ray without music.The phrase “eliciting the thoughts of his secret heart” I feel is the perfect description of the paper as a whole. Brother Ray has to be my favorite piece of the readings as it is the most real and raw telling of a man last days. The paper captures all the struggles one faces in their finals days and most importantly leaves a lasting impression of the legacy of Ray Charles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.