The article Tuned in, Zoned out, tackles the issue of whether ipods are making the current and future generations more antisocial. I agree with the idea present in the article that since the advent of the Ipod more people seem to be “wrapped up in their music.” This however is not a result of people wanting to intentionally alienate themselves but a mere side effect of being able to have thousands of songs in the palm of your hand. There has to be sometime you can listen like when riding the bus or walking to class. Just because you choose to listen to your ipod rather than have a conversation doesn’t mean you are becoming more or less social. Everyone has those days where they want to avoid contact with others and the ipod provides the opportunity for this. I myself am guilty of this type of behavior and I don’t consider myself antisocial because of it. Using your ipod as way to escape conversations because your having a bad day or in a rush shouldn’t be looked down upon. As Leichman states “ the devices help them relieve stress or, particularly at work concentrate.” I typically look at my ipod as a way to shut outside noise and focus on my work. Also I don’t think that I am in away losing touch with the people in my life because of it. If anything an Ipod can bring people together if you share musical interests. I can recall many times where my ipod has attracted the attention of someone and ended in a new friendship. Take the Zune for example which allows you to instantly share music, it can serve as a great conversation starter. In the end, I think Technology is what you make it. It can either prevent you from interacting with others, or it can keep you in contact and bring you closer .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.